Here I will share some thoughts regarding Sherline milling machines.
First, Sherline mills are great machines.
- Almost unbeatable price/quality.
- Compact and lightweight.
- Lots of accessories and even a cnc kit.
Second, these are nice machines, but not perfect. It seems most users are happy with their Sherline’s, but pointing most obvious weaknesses it’s healthy.
- Weak column. A 10mm thicker column would be great.
- Short throat. You need two spacer blocks on the headstock to be able to use the full Y travel.
- No provision for delrin nuts.
- Annoying motor location (inherited from the lathe, obviously).
- No leadscrew/ways protection out of the box.
Gib system(it seems I’m the only one that hate the gib system, so ignore this).
Third. I think the “monster mill” philosophy it’s wrong. Basically, and this is my personal opinion, extending every axis and changing to ballscrews it’s not worth nor advisable. May be extending X axis and putting to ballscrew on Z axis, but a full monster mill it’s really ugly to me. I should also say that I prefer model 5000 over 2000, but I don’t think 2000 model be a bad deal.
UPDATE: We are in 2015 and Sherline has a lot of new products and enhacements. Now they have a nice ways cover and a big spacer to give more throat.